– 3 T Olive oil
– 1 tsp. cumin seeds*
– 2 garlic cloves, minced
– 1 medium onion, chopped
– 1 large red or yellow bell pepper, chopped
– 1 can crushed tomatoes
– 1 small bunch kale (central rib removed) or spinach, shredded
– 1 tsp. sweet paprika
– ¼ tsp. cayenne or crushed red pepper (optional)
– ¼ tsp. ground cinnamon
– ½ c crumbled feta cheese (optional)
– Salt & pepper to taste
– 6 eggs
– Parsley/cilantro (optional)
1. Heat oil in large non-stick skillet (or heat-proof casserole) on medium heat.
2. Add cumin, onions and garlic; saute until softened.
3. Add peppers; saute until softened.
4. Add tomatoes and spices; simmer for about 10 minutes until thickened and fragrant.
5. Mix in shredded greens and let them wilt in the sauce. Time will vary depending on your taste.
6. Stir in crumbled feta cheese, if desired.
7. Make six “wells” in the sauce with a spoon or ladle, and crack an egg into each one.
8. Cover and cook about 8 to 10 minutes, until eggs are set.
9. Sprinkle with minced parsley or cilantro, if desired.
*Can substitute ground cumin; if so, add with the other spices