– 1 teaspoon lemon zest
– 1/4 cup lemon juice
– 1/4 cup olive oil
– 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, coarsely ground
– 1 teaspoon salt
– 1/4 cup bulgur wheat
– 1/2 of a small red onion, finely diced
– 1/2 cup (or more) parsley
– 1/2 cup seedless cucumbers, cubed
– 3/4 cup tomato, cubed
1. Whisk the lemon zest, lemon juice, olive oil, black pepper and salt together in a small bowl, then add the bulgur wheat.
2. Let soak for 30 minutes or up to 2 hours, depending on the coarseness of your bulgur and how soft you want it.
3. Wash and dry parsley. Remove the stems if you don’t like them; chop all finely.
4. In a large bowl, combine parsley, cucumbers, tomatoes and onions. Add the soaked bulgur along with the dressing and toss everything together.
Tabouleh tastes wonderfully fresh the day it’s made. If you let it sit overnight, the flavors have a chance to meld and it tastes even better.