If I could wave a magic wand, I would give you a good night’s sleep. Every night, for the rest of your life. Why is this so powerful?
Even if you made no other changes to your daily habits, here’s what would happen: your overall health, your mood, your energy level and, yes, your libido would all massively improve. How does this work?
After decades of study, we still don’t know the full story on the physiology of sleep. But here’s what we do know, or strongly suspect…
– Over the last 3 to 4 decades, average sleep quantity has declined significantly, with most people getting less than 7 hours per night.
– During the same time period, both adults and children are experiencing increased rates of obesity and diabetes.
– Insulin resistance may develop at least partly in response to sleep deprivation.
– Other neuro-hormonal changes related to sleep deprivation include:
- – Increased cortisol levels. And remember — stress robs us of sex hormones.
– Increased ghrelin levels. Ghrelin drives hunger & cravings, which typically has a negative impact on blood sugar and inflammation – another libido killer
– Decreased leptin levels. Leptin helps curb appetite.
– Impaired glucose metabolism.
– Increased inflammatory markers (these will show up in your blood work*). Remember — like stress, inflammation robs us of the raw materials to make sex hormones.
Perhaps the worst effect of inadequate sleep is the impact it has on our brains! Memory, focus, ability to multi-task and yes, interest in sex are all affected by the amount and quality of sleep we get.
Bottom line? Sleep is good for you. And sex is good for you. If you’re not sleeping, and your libido and general vitality are sagging, please don’t brush it off.
The best news here is that this is fix-able! You truly deserve abundant sleep, vitality, energy and libido at every age. If you’d like some help with this, please don’t hesitate to to reach out. Call me; I’d love to help.
*We offer a complimentary assessment of your blood work. Call us to schedule!
See the previous parts of the series by clicking one from the list below: