To me, the only real difference between a smoothie and a shake is the ratio of liquid to solids. Let’s look at that first.
My baseline is always 2 rounded scoops* of protein powder (see below), and anywhere from 12–16 oz. of liquid. I personally don’t love alternative milks, so my default liquid is filtered water. I don’t recommend using fruit juice, even organic and unsweetened juice; the sugar content is just too high. If you like a particular nut milk, don’t hesitate to use that — but do try different variations so you won’t get bored.
There are two basic directions to go with your smoothies: fruit, and fruit mixed with greens.
Let’s start with fruit. Here are some options to play with:
– 1/2 frozen banana, 1/2 c blueberries, 1/2 c strawberries, 8–10 oz water
– 1 c strawberries, 1/4 avocado, dash of vanilla, 8–10 oz water
– 1/2 frozen banana, 1/4 c chopped pineapple, 1 Tb flaxseed oil, 8–10 oz water
– 1 c chopped pineapple, 1 Tb coconut oil, handful of unsweetened, shredded, organic coconut flakes, 8–10 oz water
Just to give you an alternative idea, here are a few of my favorite green smoothies:
– Small handful baby greens, 1/4 avocado, 1 kiwi, 8–10 oz water
– Small handful baby greens, 1/4 avocado, 1/2 c frozen berries, 8–10 oz water
Additions to amp up variety, flavor, and nutritional content:
– 1–2 teaspoons organic cacao powder
– 2 small Brazil nuts (a great source of selenium, important for your thyroid/
– 1 teaspoon of unsweetened organic nut butter
There are many, many brands of protein powder out in the marketplace — but there are only a few that I use myself, or recommend to patients, or will use for a detox program. Here, as always with food, quality and nutritional content need to the primary drivers in your choice. There are other places in life to save money. Your food is your fuel; don’t shortchange yourself!
Experiment, and have fun with these! And remember, you can always make these the night before, so you can “grab and go” in the morning. The tall jars that pasta sauce or sauerkraut come in are perfect for this.
*In some detox programs, you will have a packet of protein powder; that’s roughly equivalent to 2 rounded scoops.